Saturday, 7 June 2014

My American Adventure Update #1 Staff Training


So, here I am sat on the porch steps, the sun is dancing off of the reflection on the lake and I am super excited for the upcoming Summer. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to live in America. Krispy Kreme's, Walmart, and all the other perks it comes with, I am so content here in North Carolina and my heart is happy. (Apologies for the soppyness) but I can't help feeling super blessed to be where I am today.

The past two weeks has been a week of constantly doing new things:

Had my first ever Twizzler, S'more, Sloppy Joe and Corndog
Completed the High Ropes course
Had my first ever Camp Out (best night so far)
Been to Walmart 3 times in 2 days (I really do love that place)
Been to my first ever Drum Circle in Asheville, pretty dang cool
Spent a ridiculous amount of dollars on Pop Tarts and Oreos (yolo)

Just to name a few.

There's so much more I could write, but my mind is overwhelmed with how much I've done in the past 2 weeks, which is why my body is thankful for the 48 hour break we're currently enjoying. The calm before the storm that is campers arriving tomorrow, the first week of the Summer is officially here.

Each week we are given assignments. Basically, which group you have, who your co-buddies are and where you'll be living. My first assignment is Day Camp, which I am SUPER excited for. Day camp is camp for 5-9 year olds, who will arrive Monday morning, and leave in the evening and return the next day following the same pattern, this means that my Cabin will be camper free for another week (peaceful sleep)

Everyday I've been here, I've been journalling my experience. I'm too lazy to write out 15 days worth of Journal, but here's a sneak peek of my first few days:

(Apologies if I've repeated myself)

Camp Life Journal #1

Friday 23rd May 2014

7.56AM

You can take the teacher out of school, but you can’t take school out of a teacher. I couldn’t help but do a silent headcount of the other Tekoans on the flight. 5 Brits all on board. Phew.

9:58AM

2 hours of flying down, 9 hours left in total. Though tiredness overcomes me, sleep is impossible. The constant sound of engines, small children and American Air Hostess’ accumulate to form one long drone. Whoever said these headphones were noise cancelling clearly never tested them on a 747 aircraft. Nevertheless, the excitement that my arrival at Camp Tekoa is less than 24 hours away numbs the pain that comes alongside the thought of 2 more hours of inflight meals and a further 9 hours of flying. For now, I sign off to experiment on how many different sleeping positions I can find before getting comfortable.

15:02PM England
09:02AM Chicago
10:02AM North Carolina

Another in-flight meal down, and only 1 hour left of this flight! Today, I will have been in 3 different time zones, confused doesn’t even come close, but a bed and the welcoming arms of Camp are on the horizon. Though there have been many grumbles about in-flight food and entertainment, the Cabin Crew on this flight are wonderful. Cynthia on United Airlines flight UA292 – what a wonderful woman you are. Writing is getting harder now as the turbulence jolts my biro from side to side turning my surprisingly neat handwriting into unreadable scribbles. Thankfully this will have all been typed up onto my blog by the time you’ve read this.

Monday 26th May 2014

07:25AM North Carolina
12:25 England

It’s been a while since I’ve journalled, life here is pretty busy, there’s always something going on. Staff training started last night, so it’s about to get a whole lot busier too! Since the last time I wrote, I have:

-       Had my first ever Twizzler
-       Gone for Ice Cream in downtown Hendersonville super late and jetlagged
-       Been to Walmart three times in two days
-       Met about 60+ new faces
-       Learnt how to play Foursquare (badly)
And that pretty much sums up my first few days at Camp. It’s crazy how much I feel at home here, people are all so lovely and talkative and it’s like one big crazy family.

The mornings here are beautiful; the view from my current cabin (current because we move every week, though two weeks for Staff Training) is like a Monet painting. You couldn’t get a better setting for a camp if you tried.

Every morning we have morning watch, where we gather on the porch and 15 minutes before breakfast we take time to read devotions, journal or simply observe. What a beautiful way to start the day. I was tempted to start doing it at home, but realistically the view from my bedroom has nothing compared to the Appalachian mountains. But yeah, I’m pretty much living the dream out here! Hopefully I’ll put my first vlog together real soon so you can see for yourself, but at the minute I’m pretty much immersing myself in life here at Tekoa and settling in to my new lifestyle for the forthcoming three months.

I'll update you all again real soon.

For now, here's my first vlog

1 comment :

  1. Sounds like an American dream! I would love to go to the USA. I've been to Canada and America is the next place for me :) Your posts are brilliant, I can't wait to read all about your American adventure. xx

    www.allthingsbeautiful-x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top