Thursday, 26 December 2013

The 2013 Roundup


It's been a while, I know. I promised myself I'd be a better blogger, but recently I've just had a massive lack of inspiration. I'd rather not post at all than post something for the sake of posting. So, as Christmas dies down and we head towards a new year, I thought now would be a perfect time to share my thoughts on 2013.

With so many social networking platforms surrounding us, it's easier for us to reflect, we can scroll back on our Facebook timelines and see exactly what we posted at exactly what time, re-read our Twitter feed at those snippets of life we chose to document in 140 letters and, take a look back at our Instagram to see what we were eating 7 months ago, or how pretty the sky looked on that cold February morning. I've never really been bothered with listening to Queenie's speech, but as I was flickering through the radio stations on my new Trevi (it's a beaut) I stumbled across the beginning and decided to tune in. "With so many distractions, it is easy to forget to pause and take stock." So here I am, taking the advice of Lizzie herself. 

I entered 2013 as a quite an insecure 19 year old girl with no direction, no idea as to what I wanted to do with life, what kind of job I wanted or even if I liked the person that I was becoming. Society has a habit of churning us into workaholic robots, I see it in so many people around me; eat, sleep, work, repeat (thanks Daft Punk, although I adapted it a little). As young and naive as I may be, I have promised myself, that I will not follow these footsteps, I will definitely be batting for the "Work to live" team. To me, time is precious, the morbid thought of not knowing how long we have left periodically casts a cloud of desolation over my life, until I remember that time spent moping, is time I'll never get back. I leave 2013 as a confident 20 year old, knowing that it's OK to have no direction and it's OK to not know what to do with your life. "Light can be found in the darkest of places, if one simply remembers to turn on the light." a quote I take great comfort from.

Throughout the course of 2013, I've thrown myself in at the deep end. Socially awkward, often a phrase that was used to describe me. The January me was constantly battling with talking to new people, the thought alone was enough to keep me locked away at home, the December me sits here proud that through biting the bullet and finally getting over my fear of new people, I have made so many lovely new friends, built new relationships, and have grown to treasure the already existing ones even more. So many of my problems were solved by three letters y-e-s, say yes to the dinner with a friend rather than an early night in, you never know what could come of it. 

I greet 2014 knowing that it will be a year of both challenge and excitement. I won't bore you with the "new year, new me" spiel, we all know a different number on the end of the date won't allow us to reinvent ourselves. If you want to try something new, don't wait for a new year.


Carpe Diem

6 comments :

  1. What a lovely post and I think it is great to reflect on your life throughout the year.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale |

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, I love the reference to turning on the light, although it's equally important to know which light to turn to as there are so many and some are only designed to dazzle and they distract rather than direct you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, I love the reference to turning on the light, although it's equally important to know which light to turn to as there are so many and some are only designed to dazzle and they distract rather than direct you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Bethany containing a great outlook for 2014. Go for it gal! and enjoy every minute,
    and the blessing that the lord will give you on your forthcoming adventures, I wish you well in
    your New Year in work and play. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this blog,I've been checking it for sometime now and I just want you to grant me one new year's wish... PLEASE BLOG MORE!!! And please post more pics of yourself :) OOOOOHHHHHH YEEHHHHHH....

    That's two requests but that's fine... if you can only grant one then please grant the extra pics wish please... these pics can be naughty ones too if you want.

    Sleepless in Bridgford

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a cute blog!

    http://mypetitecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top