Monday, 29 July 2013

WOMAD Festival 2013








This year, I was lucky enough to tag along with my best friends family fiesta to WOMAD festival. WOMAD is a 3 day weekend festival in the south west of the UK. Having not been to WOMAD before I was a little anxious as to what to expect. 

WOMAD isn't just your ordinary festival, WOMAD is a festival that fuses music from all around the world into one large field. The juxtaposition of the various acts gave me a bit of cultural whiplash, drifting from stage to stage, our ears were treated with musical vibes from "Huun Huun Tu" Russian throat singers to "Parov Stelar" an Austrian DJ and his band who filled the Siam tent with "Electro-Swing" and had the whole place dancing. My favourite experience of the weekend, was having my insides shaken by the deep bass produced from the canon of Japanese percussion "GOCOO". This band is formed from seven women and four men who reach beyond both Japanese shores and Japanese traditions, becoming a "tribal groove orchestra". 
An experience I will never forget.

If you've never been to a festival before, I'd definitely recommend WOMAD. It's a pretty family orientated festival, and there's a range of all ages. The music is such an eye opening experience, a magical insight to the music of the world. If you do go to WOMAD, I'd definitely recommend the La-Dee-Dah-Loo passes. I don't think I've ever heard of a festival offering a VIP toilet pass, but it is DEFINITELY worth it. Private toilets in a lovely marquee with air conditioning and various products to hand for that magical "festival spruce up" that we all need once in a while.

All in all, I loved every minute of the festival, and I'd definitely recommend going and immersing yourself in the different ambiences of the WOMAD world.


6 comments :

  1. Love the vintage look to your photos! Looks like so much fun there, definitely will look into it! We would love for you to check out our new blog and tell us what you think:-)

    Rona and Laura xox

    http://lanarosabeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Will definitely check out the blog
      xx

      Delete
  2. Love your photos! And your header is gorgeous!

    http://sofiescurlymess.blogspot.dk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are gorgeous and I love your blog!
    Looks like you had a lot of fun :)

    ~ www.brunette-wavez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top